Friday, October 3, 2008

"I feel alive"


"Why's that?"


"I can't explain"


"Why not?"


"It's not something I might be able to explain properly. It's like, imagine you just saw a really great movie, but it was a strange movie also. The characters weren't easy to understand right away. Each scene taught me something about them, but it wasn't as simple as them staring at the camera and giving tired one-liners. Things like subtlety of language, things like body language, and most importantly, their faces- the way each facial feature coupled with their eyes seemed to hint at so much of their emotions- they all show so much and yet still give you space to feel connected to the characters by learning about them."

"Yeah, I think I know what you mean, but the people I know in real life are like that! People aren't like Tobey Maguire in the Spiderman movies or the countless lead characters in cookie-cutter romantic comedies- they are complex people. Sometimes they wish they had said something differently, they don't always know what's right to do or what they truly want. So why do these movies mean so much to you?"

"Music. When you combine all that- depth of emotion and sincerity- with a certain kind of music, it does something amazing that I can't explain. It's like when you are at home listening to music, and one song triggers something in your head, and you get a moment of clarity about some emotional thing you have been thinking about. That's why I feel like that, and that's why those movies do that."

No comments: